I have just added a page to this site where I am offering a variety of blank notebooks and journals for sale, most of them with quite creative covers. Some of these are books I bound a couple of years ago and have not got down to promoting. But some are also more recent creations, as I want to explore doing more of this sort of work if there is an outlet for it. I will probably eventually move them to another online shop, but for the time being I am selling them on this site. The prices may also be somewhat on the low side, but at the moment I’d like to see if they sell and move some stock.
Category Archives: New books
I haven’t posted on here recently because of the demands of trying to establish a business and also the fact that much of my recent work has not been terribly original. I’ve realised that I’ll have to keep this blog for rather exceptional things, rather than run of the mill work.
However, this is a book that I bound recently as a gift. It incorporates an original water colour painting that my father did shortly before his death just over year ago. I’d asked him to experiment with some small paintings and he’d sent them to me, but I hadn’t got down to doing anything with them until recently. I think that I’m going to keep the rest of them for special personal projects. But it does give an example of the sort of things that one can do with original artworks.
This is a book that was commissioned as a gift. It is half bound in leather (but with a side rather than a corner half-binding) and a collage cover. The headbands are from leather and the end pages from handmade paper. I must say that I am rather pleased with it…
This is a somewhat provisional book. I mentioned previously that one of the advantages of having priest who is pioneering the translation of Orthodox liturgical texts into Afrikaans is that it presents unique opportunities for bookbinding. This book is the text of the Liturgy of St John Chrysostom that is used on the altar. Until now the loose pages have been in a ring file with plastic pockets for the variable texts, but these tend to reflect the light, so I have placed frames made from handmade paper on the blank pages for inserting loose sheets of variable texts. Unfortunately these are not evenly spread throughout the book and so the book block tends to be rather irregular and I have since thought of a better way to minimize this. I was also planning to do an embroidered icon for the cover, but simply don’t have time at the moment. So, instead of making this a very drawn out job I have bound the book with a simple cover (with a sunken icon print and brown linnen) and will hopefully produce a better designed book with a more elaborate cover at a later stage.
One of my recent projects has been binding some photocopied volumes of A Manual of Eastern Orthodox Prayers, originally published by the Fellowship of St Alban and St Sergius. I was asked to do a copy for a gift and so did some more in two different versions, one with an embossed leather edition, and the other a cloth edition with a sunken icon of the Transfiguration on the cover.
Although I’m open to taking orders for these (we apparently do have permission to reproduce them) I’m not planning to promote them in a big way, but will rather wait until we are ready to produce our own locally edited version.
I’ve been neglecting this blog again, but wanted to post these photos of my stall at the Rondebosch Crafters’ Market three weeks ago. The market went well for the first time and there was wonderful with weather with a beautiful view of Devil’s Peak. But it did leave me rather exhausted and needing to focus on other things after that. Anyway, I plan to continue having a stall there on the second Saturday of every month.
Ever since doing embossed covers on some bibles I repaired, I have been thinking of doing this on bibles to sell. The bibles on this post are bibles which I bought and rebound. The book blocks were all stitched, but I gave them new end papers and leather headbands and coloured the edges. I have a variety of other bibles in the pipeline – and the variations of translation, size, colour and cover design are endless – but I didn’t manage to finish them in time for the market, so I’m just posting these three for now. They were supposed to have lettering on the spine, but that is one of the technical hitches that I still have to resolve.
I’m finally getting to post these photos. These are A5 books that are half bound with leather and collage covers:
These are A5 books with paste paper covers, one of which is quarter bound:
This A5 book is half bound in leather with coated linen.
And these little books are A6 and are quarter bound in leather and coated linnen:
I wasn’t intending to make books like this, but because I am finally getting things together for a craft market stall (details to follow soon), I thought that it might be a good idea to have some cheaper books. The trouble with hand stitched books is that one can’t really sell them that cheaply, and there may well be people who just want a simple notebook. Anyway, these are glued books bound in a pamphlet style but with creative covers.
These are A6 and are just over a centimetre thick:
And these approximately 65 x 93mm and are just under a centimetre thick:
I’m afraid that I’ve been neglecting this blog! I’m in the middle of too many half-finished projects that, because I’m experimenting with new things, tend to get drawn out. But let me post some photos of some more little A6 books in the meantime…
And here are photos of some individual books: